Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lesson Reactions

After doing my lesson I found a few things I would do differently if I could do it again. First, when I asked the class to throw back ideas and reactions about the video, instead of taking the time to answer one (which would be done with the student projects) I can just write them down and collect a larger amount so people can see what others have said and generate more ideas. I would also make sure to scaffold a little more about what I would like in terms of the free-write for the reactions because as I sent them off to so do I think they were a little bit nervous about what to write especially since the video was so intense and there was a lot going on with it.
I thought however that this was a really good transition into talking about mental illnesses and I liked the idea of starting with two visuals and having the ideas flow with the students and then getting into material so they could relate back to what they saw and had a grasp on rather than relating the information back to words they learned.
Lastly I felt as though there was a bit of improv on my part, which I didn't want but I liked because of what the "students"said during discussion. I thought it was valuable to go a bit "off book" and really make it a true discussion rather than a fully scaffolded discussion. I think in some cases it can be very valuable.
Overall this gave me a better taste of what I'd actually be doing with my classroom and it gave me ideas to work with along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment